Insurance Terms and Conditions
Below are your new insurance terms and conditions which come into effect 35 days after you received your communication
Your Geek Squad insurance policy has received a 5 Star Rating by Defaqto, the independent financial research company focused on supporting better financial decision making.
KEY AREAS WE COVER:
- Accidental damage to your phone, including liquid damage, that may affect how the phone works.
- Theft of your phone.
- Accidental loss of your phone.
- Breakdown of your phone after the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
- Cover for any accessories purchased from Carphone Warehouse up to £300.
- Unauthorised use cover up to £10,000. you must have notified your network provider within 24 hrs of discovering the incident.
- Worldwide cover for journeys outside the UK for less than 60 consecutive days.
KEY AREAS WE DO NOT COVER:
- The excess you need to pay towards any claim (no excess on breakdown).
- Loss of stored information such as music, video or photos.
- Any claim when you have not paid your premiums.
- Any claim made more than 60 days of discovering the damage, theft, loss or breakdown.
- Any claim for theft or loss that occurs whilst the user has deliberately left the phone unattended and unsecured.
Other exclusions apply, please refer to the terms and conditions below
INSURANCE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
When you take out your Geek Squad Mobile product, you enter into two agreements: one with Aviva for your insurance policy and one with Carphone Warehouse for Geek Squad Technical Support. If one of these agreements is terminated, the other will automatically be terminated. Where cancellation periods shown in
the Insurance terms and conditions differ from the cancellation period shown in the Technical Support terms and conditions, the longer period of cancellation shall apply.
These are the terms and conditions of your Geek Squad Mobile Complete Insurance. We, Aviva Insurance Limited, underwrite this policy. These terms and conditions give you full details of what is covered, what is not covered and the limits and conditions that apply.
Whilst Carphone Warehouse have chosen us to be the insurer of this policy, and we will remain liable to you under these terms and conditions, members of The Carphone Warehouse Group will help us administer your policy and deal with claims.
If you need to make any changes to your policy, make a claim or just have a question, please call Geek Squad on 0800 458 6117.
2. POLICY DEFINITIONS
Some of the words and phrases in this policy have specific meanings. When the words and phrases are printed in bold, these specific meanings apply, rather than their usual, everyday meanings.
Accessory / Accessories
Any standard accessories which are supplied along with your phone by the manufacturer and any additional item(s) purchased from Carphone Warehouse to be used specifically with your phone;
Failure of your phone to operate due to an internal electrical or mechanical fault happening after the date the manufacturer’s warranty expires;
The Carphone Warehouse Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 2142673 with registered office at 1 Portal Way, London W3 6RS;
The Geek Squad Mobile Complete certificate issued by Geek Squad on behalf of Aviva which forms part of your policy;
Accidental damage, including liquid and screen damage, caused by a sudden and unexpected event, or malicious damage caused by someone other than a user, that affects how the phone works;
The single circumstance which causes a claim for damage, theft, loss or breakdown to be made under your policy;
Loss or Lost
The accidental loss of the phone by the user;
The company to which your phone is connected and that you pay for network services;
Other relevant authority
Any authority with the jurisdiction to handle reports of lost or stolen property where the police do not have jurisdiction;
The item covered by your policy as described on your certificate, or any replacement phone provided by us, in connection with a claim made under your policy;
The sum(s) payable by you, for the cover provided under your policy, as set out in your certificate;
England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands;
Calls, data downloads, emails, internet usage, MMS messages and SMS messages made or sent following theft or loss of your phone;
You or any person known to you who has been given your permission to use the phone and who is using it at the time of the incident leading to a claim;
We, Us, Our, Aviva
Aviva Insurance Limited, a company registered in Scotland, registered number 2116 with registered office at Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH and any agent we appoint. Aviva Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 202153;
The person or company whose name appears on the certificate.
To be eligible for Geek Squad Mobile Complete Insurance, you must:
be resident in the UK; and
be aged 16 years or over.
In the case of a business, the registered office or principal place of business must be situated in the UK.
4. THE CONTRACT OF INSURANCE
Contract of Insurance
- These terms and conditions and your certificate form the contract of insurance between you and us. Please read them and keep them safe.
- In return for you paying your premiums, we will provide the cover shown in these terms and conditions for your phone during the period of cover.
- Our provision of cover under this policy is conditional upon you observing and fulfilling the terms, provisions and conditions set out in the contract of insurance.
Choice of Law
The law of England and Wales will apply to the contract unless:
- you and we agree otherwise; or
- at the date of the contract you are a resident of (or, in the case of a business, the registered office or principal place of business is situated in) Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, in which case (in the absence of agreement to the contrary) the law of that country will apply.
Use of Language
Unless otherwise agreed, the contractual terms and conditions and other information relating to this contract will be in English.
Period of Cover
- Cover for damage, theft and loss will begin on your policy start date, which is shown on your certificate. Cover for breakdown will begin when your manufacturer’s warranty expires.
- If you pay your premium annually, cover continues for a period of 12 months from the date your policy started. you will have the option to renew your policy on each anniversary of this date, subject to a maximum term of 5 years, unless it is cancelled by you or us before then.
- If you pay your premiums monthly, your policy will continue on a monthly basis, for a maximum of 5 years, unless it is cancelled by you or us before then.
- If we replace your phone, cover will continue on the same basis as prior to the replacement.
- Your phone is insured against damage, theft, loss and breakdown whilst your policy is in force, subject to the terms and conditions of this policy.
- Where damage or breakdown is covered, we will repair or replace your phone. Where theft or loss is covered we will replace your phone. See the ‘Replacement Phone’ section for full details.
- We will replace your accessories if:
- we replace your phone and the accessories were damaged, stolen or lost in the same incident as the phone; or
- we replace your phone with a different make or model and this means that you can no longer use your existing accessories.
- Before we can replace your accessories you must provide us with proof of purchase for them. we will replace your accessories up to a limit of £300 per claim.
What is Not Covered
- Any claim for damage caused by general wear and tear, scratching or any other type of damage that does not affect how the phone works, i.e. cosmetic damage.
- Any claim for breakdown or damage due to:
- failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guide;
- non-hardware problems, e.g. software problems, data downloads and malware such as viruses, worms, spyware, adware or Trojan Horses;
- use of accessories which are not approved by the manufacturer of the phone;
- faults in any external electrical supply/connection;
- maintenance, repairs and/or any process of cleaning and/or restoring (unless we carried out the repair or restoration as a consequence of a claim which you made under this policy);
- any issue that is covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Any claim for theft from an unattended vehicle unless:
- the phone has been concealed in a locked boot, luggage compartment or closed glove compartment; and
- the vehicle was securely locked, but broken into by using force and/or violence;
Any claim for theft or loss that occurs whilst the user has deliberately left the phone unattended and unsecured.
By unattended, we mean the phone is left, out of arm’s reach, with no one known to the user, paying attention to, looking after or watching the phone.
By unsecured we mean the phone is left in a place where it can be easily picked up by a person the user does not know, without them having to use force and/or violence, except:-
- where the phone is in the private residence of the user or somebody known to the user, whilst the user is also present in that private residence at the time; or
- where the phone is in the workplace of the user and the user has taken reasonable steps to ensure the phone is not in plain sight.
- Anything mentioned in the General Exclusions section.
If your phone is lost or stolen, and your claim for this loss or theft is accepted by us, we will cover the costs of any unauthorised use subject to a limit of £10,000. This limit includes any taxes or charges made by your network provider.
For us to pay any unauthorised use costs you must:
- notify your network provider of the loss or theft within 24 hours of discovering it. (They will block your SIM card so it can no longer be used); and
- provide us with:
- an itemised bill from your network provider which clearly shows the unauthorised use and the costs incurred on your pay monthly contract. we may also request previous itemised bills from you; or
- if you have a pay as you go arrangement, you must provide evidence from your network provider of the credit available at the time of the loss or theft, or proof of your most recent top ups.
This policy provides the same level of cover wherever the user is in the world provided they have not been outside of the UK for more than 60 consecutive days. If an incident occurs while the user is abroad, we will not repair or replace your phone until the user returns to the UK.
- If we replace your phone, where possible, we will replace it with the same make and model as your original phone. However, where this is not possible we will either;
- provide an alternative replacement phone which may be a different colour, model or from a different manufacturer. This may mean the features and functions will vary slightly, but the replacement will be of an equivalent specification to your original phone; or
- offer you a settlement in the form of vouchers or cash, for an amount not exceeding the retail price of your phone which applies at the time of your claim.
- Any replacement phone will come from new or refurbished stock we have available. It will not include any stored information you had added to your original phone, including (but not limited to) any data, downloads, videos, music and applications. This may also apply if your phone is repaired.
- We will try and ensure that you keep your existing telephone number, but if this is not possible because of the network provider or any other reason beyond our control, your replacement phone will be connected to a new telephone number.
- If we settle your claim and replace your phone, the original phone will become our property. Where a lost or stolen phone is subsequently recovered, you may keep the replacement phone we provided you with, but the recovered phone must be returned to us. To arrange this please call us on 0800 458 6117 or email www.geeksquad.co.uk/contact.
We will not pay the first part of any claim for damage, theft or loss. This is known as the excess and we will collect it from you before replacing the phone, or after repairing it. The excess for each successful claim is shown on your certificate. There is no excess to be paid on a claim for breakdown.
7. GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
These exclusions apply to the whole policy
This policy does not provide cover for:
- Any incident that occurred before the start date of this policy;
- Any claim resulting from a manufacturer’s defect or recall of the phone;
- Any loss arising as a result of being unable to use the phone or any loss that is not the direct result of the insured incident itself;
- Any costs associated with cleaning, servicing, inspection or any adjustments of the phone, intended by the manufacturer to be routinely carried out by you or anyone else and specified as being such in the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guide;
- Any claim if the phone has been modified with technical enhancements or repaired by someone other than the manufacturer or one of its authorised repair agents. If the phone has been modified cosmetically the phone will be covered but not the cosmetic enhancements;
- Loss of stored information, including (but not limited to) any data, downloads, videos, music and applications;
- Any cost relating to the recompilation and/or re-installation and/or retrieval of data;
- Any claim where you are not a UK resident at the time the incident occurred;
- Any incident caused by a government or other authority confiscating your phone;
- Any financial loss resulting from your phone being used without your consent to access your bank account, mobile wallet or similar, and/or make purchases, unless the loss is specifically covered under the unauthorised Use section;
- Any consequence whatsoever which is the direct or indirect result of any of the following, or anything connected with any of the following, whether or not such consequence has been contributed to by any other cause or event:
Any war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or a warlike operation or operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, mutiny, rebellion, revolution, military rising, insurrection, civil
commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power;
Any act or acts including but not limited to:
- the use or threat of force and/or violence; and/or
- harm or damage to life or to property (or the threat of such harm or damage) including, but not limited to, harm or damage by nuclear and/or chemical and/or biological and/or radiological means caused or occasioned by any person(s) or group(s) of persons in whole or in part for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes, or claimed to be caused or occasioned in whole or in part for such purposes;
- Any action taken in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any way relating to war or terrorism;
- Any incident caused intentionally by you or anyone who has permission to use your phone;
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS
These conditions apply to the whole policy
- The policy is not transferable to any other person.
- Aviva and the user must adhere to the terms of the policy. If the user does not adhere to the terms of the policy you may not be covered.
- The user must take reasonable care to protect your phone and its accessories from being damaged, stolen or lost.
- The User must use and maintain your phone and accessories in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you pay your premiums monthly, you must pay your premiums on time.
- If, at the time of an incident which results in a claim under this policy, there is any other insurance covering the same loss, we are entitled to approach that insurer for a contribution towards the claim.
Making a claim.
- If your phone has been stolen, you must report it to the police or other relevant authority upon discovering such theft, and request a crime reference number before your claim is submitted. you will be required to provide that reference number to substantiate your claim. If the police force you use cannot issue crime reference numbers, please call us on 0800 458 6117.
- If your phone has been lost or stolen we advise that you report this to the network provider within 24 hours of discovering it. To make a claim for unauthorised use you must notify your network provider within the 24 hours.
- You must make the claim within 60 days of discovering the damage, theft, loss or breakdown.
- To submit a claim for damage or breakdown, please bring your phone to a Carphone Warehouse store so that the phone can be assessed and, where appropriate, replacement or repair can be arranged. Alternatively if you are unable to bring the phone into store please call us on 0800 458 6117 and we can arrange for the damage or breakdown to be assessed.
- To submit a claim for theft or loss you can call into any Carphone Warehouse store, visit www.geeksquad.co.uk/contact or call 0800 458 6117. you will need to provide your name, address, date of birth and the policy number shown on your certificate.
- In handling your claim, we may take action in your name to recover from anyone else any costs we have incurred. we will pay the cost of taking this action.
- You will be required to provide such information, documents or receipts reasonably necessary to support and/or verify your claim.
- You may be required to provide information in writing and/or through a telephone interview with a claims investigator.
- We will contact your network provider and/or the police to confirm that you have reported the loss or theft to them.
- We will, at our sole discretion, settle claims by:
- instructing Carphone Warehouse or another agent to provide you with a replacement phone;
- instructing Carphone Warehouse or another agent to repair your phone; or
- providing you with vouchers to spend at a Carphone Warehouse store or cash, for an amount not exceeding the retail price of your phone which applies at the time of your claim.
Cancellation of your Policy by You
- You may cancel your policy at any time. If you cancel within the first 14 days you will receive a complete refund on premiums paid (unless you have made a claim).
- If you wish to cancel after the 14 days, and have paid an annual premium, you will be entitled to a pro rata refund, calculated on the number of unexpired, whole months remaining on your policy. If you pay monthly premiums, you will not be entitled to any refund and will be covered up until the end of the month covered by your final payment.
- If you cancel your policy and pay premiums by Direct Debit, you will need to ask your bank to cancel this instruction.
- You can cancel your policy by calling 0800 458 6117 or by writing to us care of Geek Squad, PO Box 358, Southampton SO30 2PJ and notifying us of your wish to cancel or online at www.geeksquad.co.uk/contact.
- Your policy cannot be cancelled in a Carphone Warehouse store.
- You must cancel your policy if you no longer wish to insure the phone described on your certificate.
- You must notify Geek Squad of any change to the phone to be insured. Please refer to the ‘Changes we Need To Know About’ section for full details.
Cancellation of your Policy by Us
- 1. If you pay your premiums monthly, you must pay your premiums on time. Where a premium is not paid on time, we will notify you of that failure and the cover under this policy will cease immediately from the time the payment was due. we will attempt to take payment again 14 days from the date your premium was due.
- Where such Direct Debit succeeds or you have otherwise made payment of your full outstanding premium(s) within such a 14 day period, your cover under this policy will automatically resume from the date the original payment was due.
- Where such Direct Debit fails or you have otherwise failed to make payment of your full outstanding premium(s) within such a 14 day period, your policy will be automatically cancelled, without the need for us to give any further notice to you. At our discretion, we may, following a request from you, allow this policy to resume where payment has been made after such a 14 day period, but we are under no obligation to do so. If we elect not to let your policy resume where payment has been made after the 14 day period, we will refund that payment only to you.
- We may cancel this policy if you give or use false information, or withhold, or give incomplete information that we have requested. we will consider any action we may take with regards to your insurance policy. you need to be aware that this could result in you losing all entitlements and benefits under this policy and where your actions are deliberate or reckless you will not be entitled to a refund.
- We will immediately end this policy with no refund of premium if you use your phone to commit a crime or to allow any crime to take place.
- While the policy is in force, you must tell us of any changes in accordance with the ‘Changes we Need to Know About’ section.
- We may cancel this policy at any time by giving you at least 30 days’ written notice.
- If we cancel your policy and you pay monthly premiums, you will not be entitled to any refund.
- Except where it is stated otherwise, if we cancel your policy and you pay your premium annually you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund of the premium paid, calculated on the number of unexpired, whole months remaining on the policy.
11. CHANGES TO THIS AGREEMENT
Changes we Need To Know About.
- You must take reasonable care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions we ask when you take out your policy and when you make changes to your policy.
you must tell us about the following changes:
- you change your phone or your phone has been replaced under your manufacturer’s warranty;
- you sell your phone or transfer ownership to another person;
- you change your address; and/or
- you change your bank details.
Please also advise us if you:
- change your mobile phone number and/or SIM; and/or
- cancel your airtime contract with your network provider. Please note your policy will not cancel automatically when you cancel your airtime contract with your network provider.
When you inform us of a change, we will tell you if this affects your insurance, for example, where we are able to accept the change and if so, whether the change will result in revised terms and/or premium being applied to the policy. If you do not inform us about a change if may affect any claim you make.
If the information provided by you is not complete and accurate we may:
You must tell us if you wish to cancel your policy.
- revise the premium; and/or
- cancel your policy; and/or
- refuse to pay a claim.
Changes we May Make To This Agreement
- If you have paid premium for a full year in advance then we may propose changes to your policy at the time of renewal of your policy, including changes to your premium and/or terms and conditions of insurance.
- If you pay your premium monthly we may after taking a fair and reasonable view and no more than once in any 6 month period, make changes to your policy cover and/or terms and conditions of insurance, to reflect changes in our expectations of the future cost of providing cover.
These changes may cause your premiums, to go up or down but will not recoup past losses. When doing so we will only consider one or more of the following:
Any change made under this section will be notified to you in writing at least 30 days in advance.
- Our experience and expectations of the cost of providing this insurance and/or other Aviva insurance of a similar nature;
- Information reasonably available to us on the actual and expected experience of underwriters of similar types of insurance;
- Widely available economic information such as inflation rates and interest rates; and/or
- The cost of administering your policy.
- We may, at any time make changes to:
Any change made under this section will be notified to you in writing at least 30 days in advance. There is no minimum period between changes we make under this section.
- your premiums and/or policy cover and/or terms and conditions of insurance to reflect changes (affecting us or your policy) in the law or regulation or the interpretation of law or regulation, or changes in taxation;
- your policy cover and/or terms and conditions of insurance to reflect decisions or recommendations of an Ombudsman, regulator or similar person, or any code of practice, with which we intend to comply; and/or
- your policy cover and/or terms and conditions of insurance, in order to make them clearer and fairer to you or to rectify any mistakes that may be discovered in due course.
- You are free to cancel your policy in accordance with the ‘Cancellation of your Policy by You’ section at any time, including following notification of any such change.
If we have reasonable grounds to believe that your claim is in any way dishonest or exaggerated we may cancel your policy and not pay any benefit or return any premium to you. we may also take legal action against you.
13. GENERAL INFORMATION
We may use the information you give us to manage your policy. we may share your information with other organisations to monitor our performance, carry out research, create statistics and/or prevent crime. we may also share your information with organisations from whom you have requested services or which are providing services under this policy on our behalf.
In order to provide the services to you under this policy, we may need to collect information from you, which the Data Protection Act defines as sensitive (such as criminal convictions). By taking out this policy, you give us your permission to process such sensitive information and share it with our agents.
To prevent and detect fraud, we may share information about you with other organisations (including the police), carry out credit searches and extra fraud searches and check your details with fraud-prevention agencies.
Please note that your information may be transferred to any country, including countries outside the European Economic Area for any of these purposes and for systems administration. Where this happens, we will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as if we were dealing with it. If you would like us to tell you what information we hold about you, please write to us care of Geek Squad at Data Protection Office, PO Box 375, Southampton SO30 2PU. we may charge a £10.00 administration fee. Please quote your full name, address and policy number on all requests.
If you give us information about another person, you confirm they have given you permission to provide it to us and for us to be able to process their personal information. you must also confirm that you have told them who we are and what we will use their information for.
If you have opted-in to marketing then we or any of our appointed agents may use your information to keep you informed by post, telephone, facsimile, e-mail, text messaging or other means about our own and third party products and services that may be of interest to you. your information may also be disclosed and used for these purposes for a reasonable period of time after your policy has lapsed. By providing us with your contact details, you consent to being contacted by these methods for these purposes. If you do not wish to receive marketing information, please write to Geek Squad at PO Box 358, Southampton SO30 2PJ.
In assessing any claims made, we or any appointed agents may undertake checks against publicly available information such as electoral roll, county court judgements, bankruptcy orders or repossessions. Information may also be shared with other insurers either directly or via those acting for the insurer (such as loss adjusters or investigators). When you make a claim we will pass information relating to it to a database. we may search these databases when you apply for insurance, in the event of any incident or claim, or at time of renewal to validate your claims history.
- Nobody but the user and us can benefit from this agreement under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
- If either you or we cannot do what we have promised under the terms of this agreement because of something beyond our reasonable control such as lightning, flood, exceptionally severe weather, fire, explosion, war, civil disorder, industrial disputes, acts or omissions of persons for whom we are not responsible (including other telecommunication providers), or acts of local or central Government or other competent authorities, such party will not be liable for this.
- If you break any of the terms of this agreement, and we choose to overlook it, we may still cancel this agreement if you break its terms again.
- Each of the terms of this agreement is separate from the others. If one part of a term is not valid, the rest of the agreement still applies.
- We may use third party organisations to provide any of the services under this agreement on our behalf.
- Calls to our 0800 telephone numbers are free when made from a BT landline. Prices of calls made via other providers/mobile phones may vary.
Telephone Call Recording
For our joint protection telephone call may be recorded and/or monitored.
Our Promise of Service
Our goal is to give excellent service to all our customers but we recognise that things do go wrong occasionally. we take all complaints we receive seriously and aim to resolve all our customers’ problems promptly. To ensure that we provide the kind of service you expect we welcome your feedback. we will record and analyse your complaint to make sure that we continually improve the service we offer.
What will happen if you complain
We will acknowledge your complaint promptly.
We aim to resolve all complaints as quickly as possible.
Most of our customers’ concerns can be resolved quickly but occasionally more detailed enquiries are needed. If this is likely, we will contact you with an update within 10 working days of receipt and give you an expected date of response.
What to do if you are unhappy
If you are unhappy with any aspect of the handling of your insurance we would encourage you, in the first instance, to seek resolution by contacting us on 0800 458 6117, or in writing either via the Geek Squad website at www.geeksquad.co.uk/contact or by letter addressed to Geek Squad, PO Box 358, Southampton SO30 2PJ.
If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you may refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
London E14 9SR
Telephone: 0800 023 4567 (free from landlines) or
0300 123 9123 (Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number from any line including a mobile and will count towards any inclusive minutes you may have).
Or simply log on to their website at
Whilst we are bound by the decision of the Financial Ombudsman Service, you are not. Following the complaints procedure does not affect your right to take legal action.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
We are members of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). you may be entitled to compensation from this scheme if we cannot meet our obligations, depending on the type of insurance and the circumstances of your claim. Further information about the scheme is available from the FSCS website www.fscs.org.uk, or write to Financial Services Compensation Scheme, 10th Floor, Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, London, EC3A 7QU