iPhone app troubleshooting
Are you unable to sync an application to your iPhone? When tapped, does your favourite app merely open briefly before returning immediately to the home screen? Does your app simply not work as it was advertised? Is your blood now beginning to boil, and are you fighting the urge to hurl your phone at the nearest wall in frustration?
If the answer to any of those questions is yes then you’ve come to the right place because we're here to rescue you from malfunctioning iPhone apps.
Verify the app’s system requirements
It’s possible that your app’s system requirements don’t match your iPhone’s IOS version, so you first need to make sure that the application is compatible with your iPhone software:
- Check the system requirements in the App Store
- Check your iPhone software version using Settings > General > About
If the application requires a newer version of iOS than the one you are using, you need to update. To do this, connect your phone to the laptop or desktop that you usually sync it with. If there is a new iOS version available, then you will immediately be prompted to download and install it.
Update your application
It's possible that you are using an outdated version of your app and simply need to get the latest version.
- Open the App Store and tap Updates in the bottom right hand corner. If any updates are available, tap 'Update All'
- When prompted, enter your iTunes Store account information. Your iPhone will then download and install the application updates.
Please note that some larger applications may require a Wi-Fi connection to update.
Restart your iPhone
It’s possible that you simply need to shut down your iPhone and boot it up again. Doing so helps to clear out the memory and can often fix whatever little software niggles are causing your apps to malfunction.
- First turn your iPhone off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button at the top right hand corner of the handset until a red slider appears
- Slide your finger across the slider and your iPhone will turn off after a few moments
- Next,you need to turn the iPhone back on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
Once this has been done retry the offending app and see if the situation has resolved itself.
Remove/reinstall the application
If a particular app insists on giving you grief, try removing it from your iPhone and reinstalling a fresh copy. It’s a great solution that often works a treat and you needn’t worry about losing your saved settings or data, providing that you sync the app to iTunes on your computer before you delete it.
- To avoid losing any application data, first sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your information
- Touch and hold the relevant application icon on the Home screen until the icons start to wiggle
- Tap the "x" in the corner of the application you want to remove. You may be prompted to rate the application
- Tap Delete to remove the application and all of its data from your iPhone
- Press the Home button to lock the Home screen icons again
- Proceed to the next step to reinstall your application
After removing an application from your iPhone, perform these steps to reinstall it:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone and locate the application you need to reinstall
- If it is a free App, tap "Free" and then "Install." If it is a paid App, tap the price and then "Buy." If prompted, enter your iTunes Store account information
- If you have previously bought the application, you will be prompted to download it again for free. Tap "OK" and your iPhone will download and install the application
- After the application is installed, check to see if your issue is resolved
- Note: Some larger applications may require a Wi-Fi connection to download
Report the fault to the application’s developers
If after following all of the above instructions, you are still having issues with the application, you can use the App Store to report your problem. Having created the app, the developers will know more than anybody else about its nuances and will be the most equipped to help you with your problem.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone and locate the application
- Scroll down and tap "Report a Problem."
- Select your issue and any additional comments
- Tap "Report" to submit your issue
One thing we must say is that no two app developers are the same and that their professionalism does vary somewhat. As a result; we can’t vouch for the speed or quality of response you will get for your issue via the App Store.
If after following these tips you’re still experiencing problems then we’re sorry to say this but you may have downloaded some dodgy software and might want to send Apple a direct complaint.