How to download podcasts to an Android smartphone
Got your eye on an interesting podcast for your journey home? Maybe the Geek Squad fortnightly podcast perchance? Downloading the files and setting up a subscription is quick and easy on an Android-powered smartphone.
There are two common podcast setup methods on an Android powered handset. The first sees you connect your device to your PC in ‘Mass Storage’ or ‘Disk Drive’ Mode and copying the MP3 file directly to your device’s internal memory. The second involves using an application called Google Listen – the official application for downloading podcasts straight to your device from Google. Either approach will get you your desired content in just a few steps.
Downloading a podcast to Android mass storage
It’s very easy to download media to your microSD memory card, and the Android system will automatically display any mp3 files inside the music playback application on your handset or tablet.
The first step:
The first thing to do is save a copy of the podcast or music file in question to your computer. You can do this by clicking your right mouse button (Windows users on Internet Explorer) on the ‘Direct Download’ link under the media player and clicking ‘Save Target As’
Save this file to a convenient location on your PC and then follow the steps below to copy this file to your device’s internal memory.
1. Plug your phone into your computer via the supplied USB cable
2. On your phone's screen, choose 'mass storage' or 'disk drive' mode
3. Wait a moment while the computer detects the handset
4. Your computer should now show the AutoPlay box. Select ‘Open folder to view files’
5. Locate the media folder on your memory card and open the directory
6. At this stage in a second window, find your podcast on your PC, right click on it and click ‘copy’
7. Go back to the screen displaying your handsets media folder, right click in some of the empty space and click ‘Paste’ – this will copy the Podcast or MP3 directly to the memory card, job done
Disconnect the handset and open the music or media player application and you will see your podcast available for playback! Simples.
Downloading podcasts with Google Listen
Google Listen allows you to select your favourites from literally thousands of podcasts and radio shows that cater for a wide variety of tastes and interests. The application came out of the famous Google Labs stable, where experimental apps are developed in small teams in personal time by Google’s staff. Clever so-and-so’s.
- The application is available from the Google Play application store on your handset, simply search for ‘Google Listen’ and download the app
- Once you have downloaded the application, open it up and follow the simple step-by-step tutorial on how to search for your desired podcast. Continue through these steps at your own pace and at the end you will be asked to grant the application some basic permissions. In this instance, we are fine to grant them, as it’s an official Google app.
- Inside the app? Good. Tap "My Subscriptions" (you know you want to!)
- Select "Add a Subscription" and enter the following (http://bit.ly/gsukpodcast)
- Now onto the last step, Select "Subscribe" in the top left just under our picture and TaDa allnew episode will be delivered straight to your device.