How to trade-in your Apple iPad tablet
Ok, so you want to trade in your iPad because the shiny new one has arrived and you’d like to upgrade. Here’s what you’ll need to do...
Check that your iPad is suitable for trade in
- Make sure the iPad turns on and off without any issues, and that the battery charges up ok
- Make sure you’ve not damaged it by dropping it in water, cracking the screen or the body
- If you have a 3G iPad you will need to provide the original sim tray. This has information on it to prove that your iPad is genuine
Check your iPad's trade in value
You can now check the trade in value of your Wi-Fi or 3G iPad online, by visiting the Carphone Warehouse trade in page and entering your IMEI number into the form provided.
To find your iPad's IMEI number:
All you need to do is enter *#06# into your phone and your IMEI/Serial number will appear on screen. It may contain hyphens or forward slashes but you only need to enter the numbers without any spaces to receive your quote.
You can find your iPad serial number by selecting 'Settings' > 'General' > 'About'
Back up your iPad's data
Happy with the trade in quote you've been given? Now it's time to protect your data before sending off your device. Make sure you’ve backed up any pictures/apps/music/videos/etc, once it’s been traded in and sent, it’s gone! Follow these simple steps to back up your iPad.
Factory reset your iPad
With the data backup done and dusted, you’ll want to make sure your iPad is wiped clean, so that nobody can view any of your data!
What you’ll need to do is go to ‘Settings’, then ‘General’, scroll down to ‘Reset’ and then select ‘Erase all content and settings’.
You’ll be prompted to select ‘Erase’ twice, once you’ve done this, the iPad will proceed to completely erase anything stored on it and reset itself back to how it was when you took it out of it’s box.
If you’re unsure how to completely back up everything and transfer it to your new iPad, you can either call one of our Covert Agents or drop into your nearest Geek Squad precinct and one of our Agents can guide you through the process!
OK, I'm ready - how do I send off my device?
- Place your trade in order online, via the Carphone Warehouse trade in page
- The Carphone Warehouse trade in team will send you a pre-addressed, 1st class, postage paid envelope to send off your device in the same/next working day
- Post your trade in item using the provided envelope
- Once your iPad is received and checked for damage (as mentioned above), you'll be sent a cheque for the agreed trade in value, either the same or the next working day
If you need help sending off your device for trade in, please visit the Carphone Warehouse trade in help page