How to Download Android Apps from your Phone, PC, or Mac
Downloading apps to your new phone is simple to do and can be done from your phone or your computer, which ever you find easiest. Follow our guide below to start downloading new apps today!
- Firstly, open your internet browser. It really doesn't matter whether you prefer Chrome, Safari, Firefox or any of the other alternatives out there, as long as it can visit websites.
- In your address bar (the text box at the very top of your internet browser), type play.google.com. Press Enter on your keyboard when you're ready to move onto the next step.
- Type the name of the app you'd like to install, then press the Enter key on your keyboard or click on the Magnifying glass icon to the right of the search box.
- The Play Store will now offer app suggestions based on the words you entered in the search box. In our example we chose Clueful Privacy Advisor, and as you can see it was the first suggestion on the list. Click the app to continue, or press the See more button to view other suggestions.
- After clicking on the app you want, you'll be taken to its summary page. Here you can read more about the app, view screenshots of the app in action, browse comments left by other users and even check out similiar app alternatives.
- If you'd like to save this app and come back to it later, press the Add to wishlist button. This is especially useful if you're comparing apps to find the best one for you.
- Not all apps are compatible with all Android phones, so check the warning below the Install button to see if there are any issues.
- If this is the app you wish to download to your phone, press the green Install button. If the app comes with a price tag, the green button will show the cost instead of the word Install.
- A pop-up window will appear, displaying a list of permissions the app requires in order to work correctly. Below the list you will spot the choose a device dropdown menu, from which you can choose an Android phone or tablet to download the app to. If the app is incompatible with any of your gadgets, this is where you find out which gadget and why!
- Click on the smartphone or tablet you wish to install the app to. Once your handset is selected, the dropdown list will disappear from view, leaving you with the green Install button.
- Click the green Install button and, if successful, the Play Store will congratulate you on your installation. Press OK to dismiss the congratulatory popup and return to the Play Store, where you can continue browsing for new apps to install.
- Switch over to your smartphone now, and you should spot a new app showing up in your notification bar - this usually looks like a tiny shopping bag. Touch the notification bar and drag your finger downwards to display the whole notification panel.
- From here you can see straight away that your app installed successfully! Tapping on the notification will launch the app, or instead, take a look in your apps list. The new app will be waiting for you, ready to open.
To access the Google Play Store from your Android phone, follow the steps listed below.
- Find and touch the Play Store app icon from your Home screen (it looks like a carrier bag with a triangular logo on it).
- When the Play Store app opens you will see several categories of content ready for you to browse: Apps, Games, Music, etc. Tapping on any of these takes you to the related section of the store.
- If you know the name of the app you wish to download, the quickest way to find it is to use the search function. Press the magnifying glass icon at the top of the Play Store and type in the name of your app. We've chosen to download Unified Remote for this example.
- Once you've found your app, touch it to see more detailed information about it in the summary page, and also to install it on your phone. Once you've tapped the Install button you will need to accept the various permissions the app requires. Press Accept to begin the download.
- You can leave the Play Store and use other features of your phone while your app downloads. To check the status of your download, pull down your notification bar at the top of the phone screen where you can see the progress bar as well as any messages or notices of importance.
- When your app has downloaded, you will see options to Open and Uninstall the app. You don't need to go into the Play store to open each app you install, however, as it will be listed within the Apps tray available from the home screen.
Download apps from your previous Android devices
If you want to download apps from your previous Android phone, Google provides a history of all your free and premium downloads. Follow these instructions to find out more:
- From your Play Store app, tap the Menu button (three dots in the top right) or the Shopping bag (top left corner).
- On the menu that opens, tap My apps.
- There are two tabs at the top of this page, Installed and All. The Installed tab shows you a list of the apps currently installed on your phone, with updateable apps prioritised at the top of the page.
- Tap the All tab, and the display changes to show all your previously installed apps with the most recent at the top and the earlier apps at the bottom. Touching an app will take you to its store page for you to download it, and touching the X to the right of the app name will remove it from your history.
Hopefully you will now be able to search for new apps as well as easily download your previous apps. If you have any questions or comments for us about downloading Android apps, please leave them in the comments section below!
If you need help configuring your computer, phone or tablet Geek Squad can help. We offer malware removal, device set-up, software installation and more. Learn more.