How to sync Outlook information with Blackberry Z10
Wondering how to sync your new Blackberry Z10 with your outlook Calendar and Contacts? It isn’t officially supported by BlackBerry but here’s a clever workaround to achieve an even better solution!
While it is not possible to sync directly with Outlook on the new Blackberry 10 smartphones, what we can do is sync directly with a Microsoft LIve Account (you already have one if you have an email ending @live, @hotmail, or @outlook). If you need to get one, you can register free and get Outlook to communicate with this – no need for pesky wires!
The first thing you need to do is have a Live account, as we mentioned above. Once you have this, you need to download and install the Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector. Please note this is only currently compatible with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010. This should not be needed for Outlook 2013 which includes the feature already.
Once this is installed, it should prompt you for your Live account username and password. If it doesn’t, simply click “Outlook Connector” at the top, and click “Add a New Account”. Once this is inserted and Outlook is restarted, it should begin to synchronize any existing emails, contacts and calendars.
Trade in with Geek Squad
We buy and recycle working and damaged phones - get an instant quote for your
old phone using the box below
How to copy your Contacts and Calendars to a Live account for sync
- Inside Outlook, click Contacts – you should see a new contact list for your Live account
- Select your existing Outlook contacts and drag them into the new Live contacts section (or copy and paste if you prefer).
- This will now upload your contacts to the live service.
- Repeat this process for your calendars. You'll see a new calendar which represents you Live calendar, events can be copied across with relative ease. You can check they are uploaded by visiting http://people.live.com for your contacts, and http://calendar.live.com for your calendar.
How to copy your Contacts and Calendars to a Live account for transfer only
If you do not wish to sync your Outlook details, and instead just want a one-time import of your contacts and calendars to use on your new Blackberry Z10, that is also possible.
For contacts, follow these simple steps to export your information to a file, and then import them into your Live account.
- In outlook 2003 or 2007, press File and then click Import and Export. In Outlook 2010 you need to press File, and then Options and go to Advanced. Then Click Export.
- Ensure you select Export to a file and press Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) and press Next.
- You’ll be asked what you want to export, so select Contacts and press Next.
- Save the file somewhere easy to access, such as your desktop, and give it an appropriate name. Click Next then Finish.
You should now have a file containing your contacts. Now we need to get these into your online Live account! To do this, check your people, available at http://people.live.com .
- Click Manage at the top, and then select Add people
2. Click Import from file
3. Highlighted by default should then be “Microsoft Outlook (using CSV), so go to Choose File and find the file you saved earlier. Then simply click Import Contacts.
Now your contacts should be safely inside your Microsoft Live account.
The process for calendars is very similar!
- In Outlook 2010 select your Calendar, press File and go to Save Calendar. Previous versions you’ll need to click Save As instead.
- Press More Options and select a date range, or Whole Calendar. You can also select how much Detail to save. Please note the calendar has to be under 10MB in size, else it will not be able to be uploaded. If it is larger than this file, use the date range to select an appropriate time period to be under 10MB and upload in chunks.
- Save the file somewhere easy to access, such as your desktop, and give it an appropriate name. Click Save.
You now have an .ICS file containing your calendar entries. We need to import these into your Live calendar, which you can start to do by going to http://calendar.live.com.
- Press Subscribe at the top
- Select Import from an ICS file. Also you can select Import into an existing calendar to minimize mess.
3. Press Choose File and select the file you saved earlier. Once you’ve found it, simply press Import calendar.
There you go, your calendar should now be synced to Windows Live!
Syncing your Windows Live account with the Blackberry 10 operating system
Now you have your contacts and calendar information in your Windows Live system, either syncing with Outlook or having manually imported them, you now need to use your Live account on your new BlackBerry Device. Set it up as follows to get syncing:
- Swipe down from the top bezel
- Select Settings
- Select Accounts
- Select Add Account
- Select Advanced at the bottom of the screen
- Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
- Complete all desired and required fields - Server address: m.hotmail.com and Port:443
- Select Next
- Select your desired personal information items for synchronization
This should pull down your contacts and calendars for your use. And any updates you make will be reflected on your Live account online, for access at any computer or tablet with an internet connection. For those of you using the Outlook connector, the updates should also be made on your Outlook program automatically!
For any help or further queries with anything relating to your Outlook or Blackberry Z10, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
If you need help configuring your computer, phone or tablet Geek Squad can help. We offer malware removal, device set-up, software installation and more. Learn more.